Friday, October 18, 2013

Broken Administrative Tools Links

So today I noticed that many of the Administrative Tools in my control panel were showing as generic shortcut icons.  The did not work, and even the properties of the icon did not allow me to try to reconnect the shortcut to the actual program...   Curioser and curiouser...


As a sane & rational IT person, I dropped everything, including my martini, and focused intently on this problem.  Not a day would go by that I would sleep, nor a night be squandered gaming until this was resolved!

Although I am uncertain why this happened, I did discover that simply copying the shortcuts from another system worked fine.  The folder, which is hidden by default, is located at:

  • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
And I had to alter the permissions so I could modify the folder.  I then unaltered them after I was finished.



No comments: